Pages

Apr 9, 2012

Coming soon: The history of video games




I’ve wanted to do this for a while, a post talking about the consoles that laid the ground work for today’s gaming systems. Instead of using generations, I have broken them down into eras (see timeline above), naming the eras for what that gen or gens contributed, and yes; some consoles do overlap some eras, PS2 and Xbox for example. Here’s the breakdown of the consoles per era:


The origin era (or pre-crash era)
Magnavox Odyssey
Pong (arcade and home system)
Fairchild Channel F
Atari 2600
Bally Astrocade
Intellivision
Bandai Super Vision 8000
Atari 5200
ColecoVision
Vectrex

The golden age era (or the rebirth era)
Nintendo Entertainment system
Atari 7800
Sega master system
Sega Genesis
Sega cd
CD-i
SNES
Neo Geo
TurboGrafx-16

THE 3D era (or Disc media era)
PlayStation
Sega Saturn
Atari jaguar
3DO
Nintendo 64
PlayStation 2
Dreamcast
Nintendo GameCube
Xbox

The modern era (or the online era)
PS3
Xbox 360
Wii

I will be doing each era in its own blog post. Now I’m not going to be talking about every console show in the list, that’s where you come in. I’m going to be putting up a pole both on here and on the Facebook page beginning with the origin era, and the top 3 or 4 consoles will be featured. Why am I doing this? This will lead to a "what is the best video game console of history" post in the future.If there is a console I left out that deserves to be listed, just let me know on twitter, the FB page, the G+ page, or by commenting below.


No comments:

Post a Comment